Monday, April 6, 2009

What Now? A Challenge for the Team and Our Supporters

Now comes the hard part.

Even though it's a big step going on a mission trip, and the trip itself is intense, the fact is that what happens after you come home is the hard part. Now you have seen the way life is for God's people in a faraway place where the material blessings of this life are fewer and harder to come by. You have seen how, in spite of these hardships and how vastly different their lives are, the people in Honduras are still just people, just like us in so many ways. God loves them as much as He loves you, and His light shines through them in such a special way. You cannot help but be affected, to be changed profoundly by the experience if you are open to the call of the Spirit.

Back now for more than a week, "normal" life creeps back into comfortable routine. We have our favorite foods (less rice and beans!), our big TV's, the Final Four, all our friends, our shiny cars and good roads, spring weather, school and work, and our families. Back at Shimishal, a new team is there working alongside Arnoldo, Fernando, Amada, and the rest. All those children are still in their orphanages. Families still struggle to make ends meet, to clothe and feed their families and keep a roof over their heads. The nuns at those orphanages still depend on the support of others, trusting absolutely in God to provide through others the things they need to raise the children in their care.

What will you do differently now that you've been there, now that you know? Will you tell your friends and your family about what you saw, the people you met, the work that's been done and the huge amount of work yet to be done? How the people there need our support, our prayers, as well as our efforts on future teams? Will you witness for them at your church and your office? Will you speak for them? And will you come back?

The emotion of our time there fades bit by bit, and our memories dim with the passage of time. It gets harder to remember names and faces. This is human, and understandable. But I hope you will keep in a little corner of your heart the love that was poured out on you so abundantly by the families at Shimishal and by your teammates.

When I started writing this, I thought I would suggest some ways for you to keep alive the experience of our mission together. But on further reflection I've concluded that each person's response is deeply personal, and in the same way that we each shared our particular gifts while we were there, our response will also reflect the gifts we have received from the Holy Spirit.

What I will do instead is share three things that I will do. First of all, I will lead another trip next March. Several of you asked me to lead another one, and so I will. Leading the trip was a challenge, but one of the most rewarding things I've done. I have requested March 5-14, 2010, which lines up with spring break for many universities in North Carolina. Second, as part of that trip, I have built in an extra day for the team to work at Hogar de Ninas in addition to the five days at the Habitat job site.

Lastly, I am committed to raise $4500 to help Sr. Dimora Lopez hire a full-time custodian at Hogar de Ninas. It was clear in our conversation with her that cleaning and maintenance is a tough issue for her. The vast majority of donations she receives are earmarked for a specific purpose like food, computers, etc. As a consequence she has no money for repairs or maintenance to the building, and trust me, it needs it.

If you are a team member who would like to help, or if you were at all moved by my story on the orphanage Hogar de Ninas, please send whatever support you can to:

Lisa Reynolds
Habitat for Humanity of Greater Greensboro
P O Box 3402
Greensboro, NC 27402
IMPORTANT: Please make the check out to Habitat for Humanity of Greater Greensboro, and put "Hogar de Ninas" on the Memo line of the check. It wouldn't hurt to put a note in there with the check saying that it's for Hogar de Ninas to make sure.

Even as I commit to these small acts of follow-up, I wonder if it is enough of a response to what I saw and felt those nine days. But maybe that's just part of what makes coming back so hard.

2 comments:

  1. Rob, first I want to thank you for being such a motivational leader. I'm sure it was your leadership style that helped our team come together so quickly.
    Even though we've been back for over a week, I'm still processing the whole Honduran experience. It was incredible and something that will affect me for a long time to come. For me personally, it was a good segue for my upcoming journey to Armenia. I hope to channel what I've learned into my Peace Corps service. While I can't presently put into words how the trip has affected me, I know as the days and weeks go by I will continue to remember the trip; I will continue to smile as I recall the people we encountered; and be amazed by the resiliency of the Honduran people.
    Thank you again for providing me with such a wonderful opportunity.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. My experience as team leader was extraordinary, first of all because of the team. I think the team motivated me more than I motivated the team. It was also extraordinary because I did not ever really feel like "I" was doing the leading, but that God was leading through me. That's an experience I need to remember and try to replicate in my daily life.

    I'm inspired by your example of service through the Peace Corps in Armenia. I understand the challenges of Interent service there, but I hope we can stay in touch while you're there.
    Rob

    ReplyDelete